About Me

My photo
Writer for 40 years, artist, and author of the Sabrina Strong Series, cozi YA murder mystery series, Lainey Quilholt, and other fantasies. Married to same man for 34 years, Lorelei steps to a Different Drummer, and she tends to buck authority figures, and hates working in a regular job (who doesn't?) and awaits the day she can retire completely and spend her time writing and working on her art. Lorelei writes for herself, first, and finds that people who read her stories are fine with that arrangement.

Monday, November 11, 2019

Returning To Art: Bald Eagle

I had no idea that there were magical things you could do to pencils (colored or otherwise), that would blend them to make them appear more vivid. In fact it's the case with other mediums.
I began this large drawing back in October working in colored pencil. This is a large work, and it took me a lot of time, because it was so big and I was using my eyes so much, I'd get cross-eyed if I kept at it more than a few hours.


The work took me a couple of weeks to complete.


When I got it done I wished I'd done the background in watercolor first, because it was just too big of an area to cover (9"x12"). The original didn't have the big dark clouds, but I felt it needed some drama. Besides, I like clouds!



 I knew it was an undertaking filling that much space with colored pencils, but I stuck with it. I'd never done a picture quite that large with just pencils. But the end picture/painting is so much more. I knew I wanted the eagle's head to show up vividly. That's the focal point. When I got enough layers of pencil down I took odorless mineral spirits to blend the colors. I let it dry and added more layers, I also put down watercolor pencil to the sky and various other spots on the bird. I then went in again and did the colored pencil and blended it with OMS.
I've had over 100 likes on the facebook page Free Reference Photos for Artists

No comments:

Post a Comment